You are currently using the General_American lexiconSwitch lexicon:
No search results yet.
Search for words matching a sound pattern:
Switch to advanced search interface
Each field specifies part of a word that the program will search for in specified lexicon. You can either search for a sound anywhere in the word or for sounds in particular positions but not both at once. You can limit the words in the list to ones with a specific number of syllables or to ones with a minimum and/or maximum number syllables. The results of the search are returned in a text file which contains the written forms of the matching words.
The IPA and/or Arpabet forms of the words can optionally be added to the list as well. These pronunciations will follow the written forms of the words on the same line. If both IPA and Arpabet are added, the IPA transcription will appear first after the written form.
- Check the box to the left of Add IPA to the output file to add the IPA transcription of each word after its written form.
- Uncheck the box to the left of Display primary stress markers in IPA to remove the stress marks from the syllables with primary stress from the IPA transcriptions. (Only available if IPA is being added.)
- Uncheck the box to the left of Display secondary stress markers in IPA to remove the stress marks from the syllables with secondary stress from the IPA transcriptions. (Only available if IPA is being added.)
- To limit the results to words with a specific number of syllables, check the box to the left of Limit results to words with exactly syllables. Then enter the number of syllables (from 1-9) as the number.
- To limit the results to words with at least a minimum number of syllables, check the box to the left of Limit results to words with at least syllables. Then enter the minimum number of syllables (from 1-9) as the number.
- To limit the results to words with at most a maximum number of syllables, check the box to the left of Limit results to words with at most syllables. Then enter the maximum number of syllables (from 1-9) as the number.
- Both a minimum and maximum limit for the number of syllables can be set for a single search but the minimum and maximum limit cannot be combined with a specific number of syllables.
- By default the search results are limited to the 100 most common words based on their frequency of occurrence in the Google N-Grams Corpus and are ordered by how common the words are.
- Uncheck the box to the left of Limit result to the 100 most common words to get all words that match the search criteria.
- To limit the result list to a different number of words, enter a different number in the digit box to the left of most common words and leave the checkbox checked.
- Check the box to the left of Sort words alphabetically to have the result list sorted in alphabetical order instead of by its frequency of occurrence.
- To find words that start with a nasal sound and have an /AA/ as a medial sound:
- Set Word start to Nasal
- Set Word medial to AA=/ɑ/
- To find words that contain medial voiceless stops:
- Set Word medial to Voiceless-stop
- To find words that contain a medial /ER/ and end with a /T/:
- Set Word medial to ER=/ɝ/
- Set Word end to T=/t/
- To find words that are at least 2 syllables long and contain a medial affricate:
- Set Word medial to Affricate
- Check the box next to Limit results to words with at least 1 syllables (1-9) and replace the 1 with a 2.
Sound category descriptions:
- Vowel : Any vowel including R-vowels
- Stressed Vowel : Any vowel which has a primary stress
- Unstressed Vowel : Any vowel which does not have a primary stress (including ones with secondary stress)
- Consonant : Any consonant (stops, liquids, glides, fricatives and affricates).
- R-colored-vowel : Vowels that are followed an R sound in the same syllable, including ER
- Vowel-no-R : Vowels that are not followed by an R sound
- Nasal : n, m and ŋ
- Liquid : l or ɹ
- Glide : j or w
- Sonorant : A vowel, nasal, liquid or glide
- Sonorant-consonant : A nasal, liquid or glide (but not a vowel)
- Stop : Any voiced or voiceless stop
- Voiced-stop : b d, g or ʔ
- Voiceless-stop : p t or k
- Fricative : Any voiced or voiceless fricative
- Affricate : tʃ or dʒ
- Voiced-fricative : v, ð, z, or ʒ
- Voiceless-fricative : f, θ, s, ʃ or h
- Stop-or-flap : Any voiced or voiceless stop or a flap(ɾ). Note that flap(ɾ) is not used in the CMU dictionary.
Individual Arpabet sounds:
|Arpabet||IPA||Dictionary style phonics|
|IY||/i/||[ē] as in "beat" (IY)|
|IH||/ɪ/||[ĭ] as in "hit" (IH)|
|EH||/ɛ/||[ĕ] as in "pet" (EH)|
|AE||/æ/||[ă] as in "hat" (AE)|
|AH||/ʌ/||[ʌ] as in "cup" (AH)|
|UW||/u/||[Ū] as in "shoe" (UW)|
|UH||/ʊ/||[Ŭ] as in "could" (UH)|
|AO||/ɔ/||[ô] as in "ball" (AO)|
|AA||/ɑ/||[ä] as in "father" (AA)|
|EY||/eɪ/||[ā] as in "made" (EY)|
|AY||/aɪ/||[ī] as in "tight" (AY)|
|OY||/ɔɪ/||[oi] as in "voice" (OY)|
|OW||/oʊ/||[ō] as in "go" (OW)|
|AW||/ɑʊ/||[ow] as in "cow" (AW)|
|ER||/ɝ/||[ər] as in "heard" (ER)|
|IH R||/ɪɚ/||[ear] as in "beer" (IH R)|
|EH R||/ɛɚ/||[air] as in "bare" (EH R)|
|UH R||/ʊɚ/||[oor] as in "cure" (UH R)|
|AO R||/ɔɚ/||[oar] as in "door" (AO R)|
|AA R||/ɑɚ/||[ar] as in "car" (AA R)|
|AX||/ə/||[ə] as in "about" (AX)|
|AXR||/ɚ/||[ər] as in "another" (AXR)|
|P||/p/||[p] as in "pan" (P)|
|B||/b/||[b] as in "bat" (B)|
|T||/t/||[t] as in "tag" (T)|
|D||/d/||[b] as in "dog" (D)|
|K||/k/||[k] as in "kite" (K)|
|G||/ɡ/||[ɡ] as in "game" (G)|
|CH||/tʃ/||[ch] as in "chair" (CH)|
|JH||/dʒ/||[dg] as in "judge" (JH)|
|F||/f/||[f] as in "fan" (F)|
|V||/v/||[v] as in "van" (V)|
|TH||/θ/||[th] as in "thin" (TH)|
|DH||/ð/||[th] as in "these" (DH)|
|S||/s/||[s] as in "some" (S)|
|Z||/z/||[z] as in "zoo" (Z)|
|SH||/ʃ/||[sh] as in "ship" (SH)|
|ZH||/ʒ/||[zh] as in "rouge" (ZH)|
|HH||/h/||[h] as in "hand" (HH)|
|M||/m/||[m] as in "move" (M)|
|N||/n/||[n] as in "nose" (N)|
|NG||/ŋ/||[ng] as in "sing" (NG)|
|L||/l/||[l] as in "late" (L)|
|R||/ɹ/||[r] as in "red" (R)|
|DX||/ɾ/||[t] as in "matter" (DX)|
|Y||/j/||[y] as in "yellow" (Y)|
|W||/w/||[w] as in "will" (W)|